Saturday 12 December 2009

Aegyo: what the hell is that?

So what is aegyo? To keep it simple, it is a way of acting cute. It might be a different way of talking (trying to talk in high pitched voice) or making cute face expressions etc. Well it's kinda difficult to explain. Aegyo is also applicable for guys :) Well according to Koreans, aegyo is a way for a girls to get the things they want and for a guys to win a girls heart. Some examples of aegyo:



Aegyo is fun to watch in dramas or TV shows, when Korean idols are trying to show their "charms" with cute expressions or their failures doing that, but in real life it can be pretty annoying, especially girls speaking in high pitched voice... About guys... Hmm don't remember any of them acting cute (I guess I just have some memory loss because of loads of alcohol I had ...khem well I don't know the reason). The easiest way to notice aegyo is to look through the pictures you are taking with Koreans. You will notice girls puting their palms to face, or making \/ signs (the aegyo that I just mentioned is kinda lovely ^^) The other reason why Koreans put their palms next to a face and try to cover it a bit is to make it look smaller. You wonder why they want their face to look smaller? Well reality is like that: small face = beautiful face. I will talk more about the perception of beauty in Korea in my next post :)
That's all for now. And here's a little bit of aegyo for the end ;)

 
 

P.s. All credits of the pictures goes to their owners (I do not own them, I do not steal, I borrow! :D)  I hope people won't get mad because of me borrowing those pictures. I took them just for educational purposes :)
^^

2 Comments:

  1. trepatukas said...
    turbut kas labiausiai patiko, tai kad ir Sunny, ir visus tuos is fotkiu as zinau ;D
    kazkaip susidariau vaizda, kad tau sitas aegyo nelabai patinka... ar klystu?
    Deimante said...
    Kai tau cypauja i ausi tai tikrai ne kazi koks malonumas. Bet siaip as tai priimu kaip kulturos dali ir tiek. Nepasakyciau, kad nemegstu ar kad dievinu. Tiesiog susigyvenu su tuo :)

Post a Comment